Council Tax Support Appeals

Council Tax Support Appeals

From 1 April 2013, Council Tax Support replaced Council Tax Benefit, which has been abolished.

Under Council Tax Support (CTS), Derbyshire Dales District Council has a local 'scheme' which explains the rules used to work out whether a person should get a council tax reduction and, if so, how much.

If you do not understand the way the council tax reduction scheme has been applied in working out your council tax bill,

  • you may contact your Benefit Section by telephone on 01629 761188
  • Or by email: 
  • Or in person at the Town Hall, Bank Road, Matlock.

If you disagree with the decision we have made you can us to reconsider our decision by writing to us at Benefits Section, Town Hall, Bank Road, Matlock DE4 3NN. If you remain unhappy with this outcome you may appeal within one calendar month to the Valuation Tribunal.

You can appeal against your council's decision about -

  • Whether you are entitled to a council tax reduction, or
  • How much council tax reduction Derbyshire Dales has awarded you under the local scheme.

The Tribunal cannot hear appeals about the contents of the council's scheme, only about the way the scheme has been applied to your individual case.

Before you can appeal to us, you need to have written to the council explaining what you disagree with in their decision about your council tax reduction.

The Valuation Tribunal Service can be contacted in writing at the following address – this should be the address for sending an appeal.

VTS, Hepworth House, 2 Trafford Court, Doncaster DN1 1PN

You may contact the VTS by telephone on 0300 123 2035 or by email using