Sex establishment

To run a sex shop - ie any premises selling sex toys, books or videos - you may need a licence from the District Council. To run a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public, you also need a licence from us.

You may apply to the District Council requesting us to waive the requirement of a licence, but there are no circumstances currently where we would consider a licence inappropriate.

The fee from 1st April 2022 for applying for a licence to:

Operate a Sex Establishment or a Sex Entertainment Venue is £2,304.90.

All fees must be paid at the time an application is made.

Am I eligible?

Eugo logoAn applicant:

  • must be at least 18 years old
  • must not be disqualified from holding a licence
  • must have been resident in the UK at least six months immediately before the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK
  • must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal 

Regulation summary

Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982

How will my application be evaluated?

Fees will be payable for applications and conditions may be attached. Applications must contain any information that we require, as well as the applicant's name, address and, where the applicant is an individual, their age, plus the address of the premises. Applicants must give public notice of their application by publishing an advertisement in a local newspaper.

What if I don't hear back within the specified time?

It is in the public interest that the we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from is within 28 days, please contact us. The target for dealing with these applications is 28 working days from the date an application is received by the District Council unless any objections are received in which case it will take considerably longer.

Apply online

Apply for a sex shop and cinema licence

Update a sex shop and cinema licence

What if my application is refused?

Please contact us in the first instance. Any applicant who is refused a licence, or refused the renewal of a licence, may, within 21 days of being notified of the refusal, appeal to the local magistrates' court. However, the right to appeal does not apply where the licence was refused on the grounds that:

  • the number of sex establishments in the area exceeds the number which the authority consider is appropriate
  • the grant of the licence would be inappropriate considering the character of the area, the nature of other premises in the area, or the premises themselves

A licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition can appeal to a local magistrates' court. If an application for a variation is refused, or if the licence is revoked, the licence holder may, within 21 days of being notified of the imposition of, or the refusal to vary, the term, condition or restriction in question, or of the revocation, appeal to the local magistrates' court.

A licence holder may also appeal to the crown court against a decision of a magistrates' court.


Any person objecting to an application for the grant, renewal or transfer of a licence may give written notice of their objection to the District Council, stating the grounds of the objection, within 28 days of the date of the application.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first point of contact should be made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery).  If that has not worked, please contact Derbyshire Dales District Council in the next instance.

If you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Public registers

There are currently no sex establishments licensed in Derbyshire Dales.