Personal licence

A personal licence allows the holder to sell or authorise the sale or supply of alcohol from premises with a premises licence or temporary events notice. A personal licensee may also submit up to 50 temporary event notices in each calendar year for the supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment or late night refreshments other than under the terms of a premises licence.

With the introduction of the Deregulation Act 2015, Personal Licences no longer require renewal.  Licence holders are still required to notify the District Council that issued the licence if they move house or if there are any other changes to the information contained in the licence. Licence holders are also required to notify the District Council (that issued the licence) if they receive any relevant convictions etc.  it is an offence under the Licensing Act 2003, not to do so.

Change of Details to an Existing Personal Licence

If you have moved house or have changed your name or if there are any other changes to the details on your licence you must notify the Licensing Authority that issued your licence.
The form for notification of changes to a Personal Licence can be downloaded via the following link Please complete the form and return it, with your existing licence to: Town Hall, Bank Road, Matlock, DE4 3NN for the attention of Licensing.  The fee for processing the changes is £10.50.

Important Information:

If you own or are going to be working at a premises that does not already have a Premises Licence to allow alcohol to be sold from the premises then you, or the owner of the premises will need to apply for one.  A Personal Licence does not authorise the premises, only the individual person.


The application fee for a personal licence is £37.00.  The application fee for a copy of the licence if stolen, lost etc is £10.50.  There is also a £10.50 fee for notification of change of name or address.  All fee(s) must be paid at the time an application is made.

Am I eligible?

The District Council must grant a new personal licence to someone who is:

  1. aged 18 or over
  2. must possess an accredited licensing qualification. A list of accredited Personal Licence qualification providers is available from GOV.UK.
  3. not someone who has already forfeited a personal licence in the past five years
  4. not someone convicted or a relevant offence defined in the Licensing Act 2003 or any foreign offence.

Local providers of the above training qualification include, (but not exclusively):


The Gov.UK website provides more information on Personal Licence qualifications at

Failure to meet the eligibility requirements

Where someone fails in respect of (a), (b) or (c) above, the application will be rejected. Where an applicant fails in respect of (d) above the District Council will notify the Chief Officer of Police (Derbyshire Constabulary) who may object within 14 days. If no objection is received the application will be granted otherwise the matter will be referred to a Licensing Sub-Committee meeting (Hearing) when Councillors will decide whether to grant or reject the application.

Right to work in the UK/Immigration Status

A personal licence may not be issued to an individual or an individual in a partnership which is not a limited liability partnership who is resident in the UK who:

does not have the right to live and work in the UK; or

is subject to a condition preventing him or her from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity.

Any personal licence issued in respect of an application made on or after 6 April 2017 will become invalid if the holder ceases to be entitled to work in the UK.

Applicants must demonstrate that they have the right to work in the UK and are not subject to a condition preventing them from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensing activity. They do this by providing with this application copies or scanned copies of the specified ID documents (which do not need to be certified).

The List of acceptable ID documents can be viewed here [32kb]

Regulation summary

Licensing Act 2003 (and as amended by the Deregulation Act 2015).

What if I don't hear back within the specified time?

It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 14 days, please contact us.


To apply for a personal licence you will need to submit:

  • The completed application form
  • Disclosure of convictions and declaration form
  • An approved licensing qualification (original document, photocopies will not be accepted)
  • Two photographs – correctly endorsed by a person of standing or an individual with a professional qualification (please state details of qualification held or position of standing)
  • A basic criminal records check or a criminal record certificate or the results of a subject access search of the Police national computer by the National Intelligence Service (In any case such certificate or search results shall be issued no earlier than one calendar month before the giving of the application to the Council.) Photocopies of certificates will not be accepted. Basic Disclosure check – You can apply through the Disclosure and Barring Service on GOV.UK. If you need phone or face-to-face support to apply online, call the DBS helpline on 03000 200 190 or send an email to
  • ID evidence or your right to work in the UK, eg: copy of your UK Passport or Birth Certificate. (Please do not send original ID documents)
  • The fee of £37 – Please provide a contact telephone number and email address, a member of the Licensing Team will contact you to confirm payment details when your application has been checked. Please do not send cash or cheques.
The Application Form, Disclosure of Convictions Form and Guidance for Personal Licence Applicants under the Licensing Act 2003 can be downloaded below:

Application Form PDF Version [PDF 33KB]

Download Application Form WORD Version [107KB]

Disclosure of Convictions Form [PDF 31KB]

Guidance for Applicants [50 KB]  

Persons Permitted to Endorse Photographs [437.86KB]

When you have a completed application, you can pay the application fee by telephoning 01629 761313, and a member of the Licensing Team will be able to assist you.  This is our preferred method of payment - please do not send cheques or cash with your application.


What happens if my application is refused?

Please contact us in the first instance.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first point of contact should be made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, please contact Derbyshire Dales District Council's Licensing Team in the next instance.

If you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Public register

We are in the process of re-instating our licensing public registers on line.  In the meantime, if you have a query regarding someone who is licensed please contact the Licensing Team on 01629 761313, where someone will be happy to help you.

Trade associations

British Institute of Innkeepers