Business and self-employed is the Government's online resource for businesses. It is the first place to go to find guidance on regulations, information about starting up and running a business and to access government services. It also has a number of useful online tools and best practice case studies to help both new and established businesses.
A mentoring service has also been established www.mentorsme.co.uk for businesses who would benefit from talking to someone with business experience.
HM Revenue & Customs
HM Revenue & Customs know that most Small & Medium Enterprises want to get things right but may need help to do so. HM Revenue & Customs particularly want to help customers as they face key business life events, including starting in business, taking on an employee, registering for VAT, importing/ exporting and incorporation.
- An e-learning package for customers to work through. This covers all aspects of starting and growing a business and the package can be tailored to specific trades/professions. Thousands of businesses have already used these and found they're a great way of learning.
- A range of webinars. These enable customers to attend a seminar at a time to suit them. HM Revenue & Customs have both live and pre-recorded webinars covering a range of topics. Customer feedback tells that these are a good way to get started.
- A selection of short videos on YouTube covering subjects such as Registering as Self-Employed, PAYE, Record Keeping and Construction Industry. These are a really useful way to get a quick overview on various subjects.
- Business help and education emails is a free service to provide customers with emails from HM Revenue & Customs that are tailored to their needs. They are designed to help customers understand what they need to do and how to get it right first time.
- Record keeping for mobile devices will enable customers to access apps to help make life a little easier for busy people on the go. A ready reckoner is also available to help customers budget for their first tax bill and our tax help fact sheets are a good source of straightforward guidance that customers can download from our website.