What is the Shopfronts and Commercial Properties Design Guidance?
The intention of this publication is to guide and advise shop owners, occupiers and developers on how to improve the visual quality of the shopping area of which they are part, maintain its special historic character and contribute to the long term benefit that this would bring to the local shopping centres and district as a whole.
Derbyshire Dales District Council is committed to achieving a high standard of shopfront design. The guide serves the following main purposes:
- To expand upon Local Development Plan Policy to provide more detailed and practical design advice for the alteration and replacement of shopfronts.
- To inform the reader of:
- Principles of Design: Quality, relationship to the building, scale and proportion, context.
- Elements: stall riser, doorways or entrances, doors, glazing, roller shutters, pilasters, console brackets, fascia, cornice, canopies.
- Paint colour
- Advertisements: Fascia boards, hanging or projecting signage, letter on render.
- Security: Lighting, alarm boxes, external roller shutters
- Automatic Telling Machines
- To offer greater certainty to owners / developers in understanding the aspirations of the Council.
- To be used in the determination of planning applications
Consultation 18th January - 1st March 2019
Following the Adoption of the Local Pan the Council has refreshed the Shopfronts and Commercial Properties SPD. A six week consultation period will run from the 18th January to the 1st March 2019. You can see the consultation Shopfronts and Commercial Properties SPD here, it can also be read at the following locations:
- Derbyshire Dales District Council, Town Hall, Bank Road, Matlock DE4 3NN
- The Arc Leisure Centre, 1 Bakewell Road, Matlock DE4 3AZ
- Matlock Library, Steep Turnpike, Matlock DE4 3DP
- Ashbourne Leisure Centre, Clifton Road, Ashbourne DE6 1DR
- Ashbourne Library, Compton, Ashbourne DE6 1DA
- Wirksworth Leisure Centre, Hannage Way, Wirksworth DE4 4JG
- Wirksworth Library, Town Hall, Wirksworth DE4 4EU
We would like to invite your comments, please complete the form here. All coments received during the consultation period will be recorded, summarised, recorded, reported to Members and included in the Consultation Statement (Adoption), in accordance with Regulation 12a of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning)(England) Regulations 2012.
This SPD applies to the Derbyshire Dales Distict Council Local Plan are, excluding the part of the District that falls within the Peak District National Park.
Consultation Documents 2019
- Draft Shopfronts and Commercial Properties Supplementary Planning Document [PDF 2.5 KB]
- Consultation Statement January 2018 [PDF 106KB]
- Comments form link to an online survey
- Community and Environment Committee Report 10th January 2019 Agenda Item 10 [weblink]
- Press Release
Shopfronts and Commercial Properties Design Guidance 2012
- Shopfronts and Commercial Properties Design Guidance - Adoption Statement June 2012 (PDF 7KB)
- Shopfronts and Commercial Properties Design Guidance - SPD - Adopted May 2006 - Modified June 2012 Part 1 [PDF 7.59MB]
- Shopfronts and Commercial Properties Design Guidance - SPD - Adopted May 2006 - Modified June 2012 Part 2 [PDF 7.39MB]
- Shopfronts and Commercial Properties Design Guidance - SPD - Adopted May 2006 - Modified June 2012 Part 3 [PDF 6.91MB]
Shopfronts and Commercial Properties Design Guidance 2006
- Shopfronts and Commercial Properties Design Guidance - SPD - May 2006 [PDF 3627KB]
- Shopfronts and Commercial Properties Adoption Statement - May 2006 [PDF 115KB]
- Shopfronts and Commercial Properties Scoping Report - Oct 2005 [PDF 290KB]
- Shopfronts and Commerical Properties Sustainability Appraisal - Dec 2005 [PDF 284KB]