Operator's licence

To get a Private Hire Operator's Licence the District Council has to determine whether or not you are a 'fit and proper person' and whether the location you intend to use as the base is suitable. 'The Operator' means a person who makes provision for the initiation or acceptance of bookings for a Private Hire Vehicle. The main objective in licensing you as a Private Hire Operator is the safety of the public, who will be using your premises and vehicles and drivers arranged through them.  To assist this decision you will also have to supply a current Basic Criminal Bureau check.

Am I eligible?

Your operating base must be located within the Derbyshire Dales District

Before applying for a Private Hire Operator's Licence, please read the District Council's Taxi Licensing Policy [PDF 1.2 MB] which includes guidelines relating to the relevance of previous convictions. 

Regulation summary

A Private Hire Operator's Licence is issued under the provisions of Part 11 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.

The Licence Holder is also required to comply with the Licence conditions detailed in the District Council'sTaxi Licensing Policy.

Tax Conditionality Regulations 

From 4 April 2022, there will be a small addition to the checks licensing bodies already have in place. You’ll need to complete a tax check with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) when you renew your licence to:

Drive taxis or private hire vehicles
Operate private hire vehicle businesses

How changes may affect you

What you need to do will depend on whether you’re applying for a licence for the first time or whether you’re making a subsequent application, such as renewing a licence.

Getting a new licence

If you are applying for a licence for the first time, you will not need to complete the tax check. However, we will ask you to read HMRC guidance on what you need to do to be properly registered for tax in the future and you’ll need to sign a declaration to confirm you have done this.

Renewing a licence

From 4 April 2022, if you renew or apply for a subsequent licence under a different licensing authority area, you’ll have to do a tax check. You’ll be able to do this online through a digital service.

You’ll need to complete a tax check if you’re:

*  Renewing a licence
*  Applying for the same type of licence you previously held, that ceased being valid less     than a year ago
*  Applying for the same type of licence you already hold with another licensing authority
   You must carry out the tax check yourself. You cannot ask a tax agent or adviser to do     this on your behalf.

The tax check will ask questions about how you pay any tax that may be due on income you earn from your licensed trade. After you have completed the tax check you will be given a 9-character tax check code.

You will need to give the code on your application to the licensing authority, so we can confirm you have carried out a tax check.

You will not be granted a licence if you do not give a tax check code to the licensing authority.

What you should do before April 2022

Get a Government Gateway user ID and password.

You will need a Government Gateway user ID and password to complete a tax check, so you should make sure you have one before you need to make your licence application.

If you do not have a user ID, you can create one by registering for HMRC online services.

Check your HMRC records are up to date.

You can check your details are up to date when you get a Government Gateway user ID, or by signing in to HMRC Online Services.

You can access the GOV.UK website for further information via the link below:

Do I need another DBS check for my operator's application?

If you are a licensed driver with Derbyshire Dales District Council we may use your current DBS check to assist with determining your application - you must sign up to the Disclosure and Barring Service on-line update service to ensure that your check is current.

Will I need planning permission for my operators licence?

Please contact our Planning Department who will confirm if you need planning permission. The property you intend to use may require a 'change of use' through planning; depending on how many vehicles you intend to employ, the surrounding area's use (be it residential or commercial) and the use of signage and radio masts outside the property may affect a planning application.

Does my operating base have to be in Derbyshire Dales District?

The base for the operator's licence needs to be within Derbyshire Dales district. It is the Council's Policy to only grant a Private Hire Operator's licence for an operator with an operating base in the Derbyshire Dales District Council area. This is to ensure that proper regulation and enforcement measures may be taken by the Council. The law is quite clear that a private hire operator, all drivers and private hire vehicles must be licensed by the same authority.

As an operator, how should I run my business?

To operate you will require a telephone to receive calls and keep records in a bookings book and a complaints book. You will also be required to provide the name(s) and address(es) and dates of birth of all managers who will assume control of the booking of Private Hire Vehicles and drivers in your absence.

Booking Records

As an Operator you be required to keep a record of particulars of every hiring, invited or accepted as follows:

  • Time and date of the booking.
  • The date and time of the journey.
  • Name and address of the hirer.
  • How the booking was received.
  • Time of pick-up and full address.
  • Destination of the passenger.
  • Licence number and call sign of the vehicle allocated.
  • Time and driver name and call sign allocated the fare.

Records should be kept for a period of no more than 7 years.

Records for inspection

Other records to be kept at the operator's base (for inspection) include:

  • All employed vehicle licence and registration numbers.
  • Make, colour, engine size and year of manufacture.
  • All employed vehicles insurance certificates and cover notes.
  • Name and address of proprietor Name and address of drivers for each vehicle and badge number.
  • The paper licences of drivers and vehicles will be retained by the operator whilst they are working for them.
  • The above records must be able to be produced on request to any authorised officer of The Council for inspection.

How long does the Licence last for?

The licence is granted for 5 years and must be renewed 4 weeks prior to the expiry date of the licence. Please contact a member of the Licensing Team, as it may not be necessary for you to make an appointment to submit it in person,  particularly if it is a renewal -  01629 761345. The Licensing team will endeavour to send out reminders at least 4 weeks prior to the expiry date of the licence but you should be aware that it is ultimately your responsibility to make sure that your licence does not expire.

Application forms

  • Application for a new Private Hire Operator's Licence - PDF [49 KB] / Word [190KB]
  • Application to renew a Private Hire Operator's Licence - PDF [98.5KB] / Word [187KB]
  • Business Operating Name Declaration - PDF [52KB]

The current fees and charges for these licences can be viewed here [PDF 50 KB]

Also please check that you have the following listed documents when you are ready to submit your application:

  • Basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
  • A list of all drivers and vehicles operated by you
  • Public Liability Insurance – if premises are used by members of the public