English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish

Street naming and numbering

Derbyshire Dales District Council has a statutory power to name and number streets, and to approve and register official property addresses in the Derbyshire Dales. The District Council carries out these functions under the provisions of the Public Health Act 1925.

The District Council needs to be contacted if :

  • A developer requires addresses for a new property or properties
  • A property owner wants to number / renumber or name / rename / remove a name from their property
  • An address query or problems experiencing by the owner, which needs to be resolved

Why use us to number or name your property?

The address of a property is increasingly becoming a very important issue. More organisations, postal and emergency services, credit reference agencies and the general public need an efficient means of locating, referencing and authenticating properties.

The District Council has a statutory duty to cause new houses and developments to be numbered and streets to be named and subsequently will provide an applicant with a dwelling number under the above act. However, the District Council does not have a duty to notify statutory organisations or others of any new address. It cannot be stressed enough how important it is for properties to be formally named and numbered as the Emergency Services, statutory undertakers (gas, electricity, water and telephone companies) all locate the property by the information we provide. If you do not wish to pay for these additional services a number will be allocated to the property and an individual development will need to undertake these notifications. If the District Council's notification service is not used when a number is first allocated, this will be registered on the land charges search. Subsequent purchasers are able to use this service retrospectively.

Upon receipt of an application, with the appropriate fee as set out below, Derbyshire Dales District Council will undertake this service on your behalf and will notify organisations of new address changes by issuing precise location plans together with the relevant documents. These official agencies include Police, Fire, Ambulance, Electoral Registration, Council Tax, Royal Mail, Ordnance Survey, Land Charges and Land Registry.

Can I name my house without contacting the Council?

If a property is already numbered, a property owner can add a name to their property. The District Council should be notified, as the Royal Mail may not accept notification of the addition without confirmation by the Local Authority. The Local Authority will check to ensure that there is not another property within the vicinity that they are aware of with a similar name. The Royal Mail will hold the name on their database as an "alias". The property number must still be displayed and referred to in any correspondence,  for example:

'My House'
1 My Road

Once you have chosen a name, you need to ask the Royal Mail if they have any objection. Please write to :

Address Development Team
Admiral House
2 Admiral Way
Doxford International Business Park
SR3 3XW 

Tel: 08456 04 50 60

When you have obtained approval from the Royal Mail, please inform us via the contact details to the right.

Can the District Council help me in this process?

Yes we can. Although the naming of properties is your responsibility as the owner, if you ask us in writing we can help you by forwarding your proposed house name on an informal basis to the Royal Mail. If they have no objection, we will let you know and also notify other interested parties on your behalf.

How do I number new properties on a new development?

If you are responsible for a new property or development - one that does not include the construction of a new street - you must contact the District Council as soon as you start work on site. We can approve street naming and numbering schemes, subject to there being no objections from the Royal Mail or from the local District Councillor or Parish or Town Council. If someone does object, we may be able to help by arranging further discussions. If a solution is still not found, the matter will be determined by the Head of Corporate Services.

General Address Queries

For any general address queries – please contact the District Council on addressmanagement@derbyshiredales.gov.uk or by telephone on 01629 761168

Missing street name plate - how do I report it?

Please contact us on 01629 761302

Who maintains my street?

To find out who is responsible for maintaining your street, visit http://www.findmystreet.co.uk

Apply and pay online

Fees and Charges

Street Naming & Numbering Fees and Guidance Notes (PDF 27KB)

1 - Application for naming of new street and numbering new properties on that street

2 - Application for confirmation of address(es) or general address/ postcode problems

3 - Application for Division or Merging of Property / Properties

4 - Application for Renaming an Existing Street or Renumbering all existing properties on an Existing Street

5 - Application for Registering a New Property / Properties on an Existing Street(s)

6 - Application to Allocate a House Number, Renumber or Remove a House Number to an Existing Property

7 - Application to Allocate a House Name, Rename or Remove a House Name to an Existing Property

8 - Application to change a Company Name on a Property

9 - Application for Renumbering of Scheme Following Development Replan

10 - Application for reactivation of an address


Paper forms are available here


Address queries

Town Hall, Bank Road
Matlock, Derbyshire DE4 3NN
01629 761 168
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.