Noise and nuisance

The District Council has powers under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to deal with statutory nuisance. The areas that are covered by this legislation are listed below.


Where a neighbouring building is in a poor state of repair or condition and it begins to affect your property, then this can be a nuisance. An example would be where a neighbour's leaking guttering is causing damp to your property.


Where a domestic or commercial premises is regularly producing smoke that means you cannot have your windows open or use your garden, this can be a nuisance. This covers smoke not only from bonfires but also from chimneys.

Dust and Odour

Dust and odour form any commercial or industrial premises can amount to a nuisance. Examples would be shot blasting at a business or the cooking smell from a restaurant.

Accumulations or Deposits

This covers accumulations of food waste, animal excrement and other such material that is likely to attract vermin and/or give rise to foul odours. Examples would be a house or business allowing its refuse to build up or a person failing to regularly collect the dog faeces in their garden.


This covers all types of noise from domestic, commercial and industrial properties that affect the use or enjoyment of your property. In certain circumstances, it also deals with noise in the street. An example would be somebody regularly repairing their car. It does not cover the general noise from traffic on the highway.


Where a light source is directly affecting your property, then this can be a nuisance. An example would be where a security light is shining directly into a bedroom.


Where animals are kept in poor conditions or poorly managed, then this can amount to a nuisance.